Friday, April 4, 2008

tunnel x11 through ssh

I've read about this a lot all over the internet, but I've found something of a mixed bag of info. Rather than try to remember where these sites were, I guess I'll just stick a brief how-to up here:

Note: This is best aimed at people who already ssh into their machine.

  • Make sure that your /etc/ssh/sshd_config (or where-ever this stuff hides on your flavor of linux) has these lines:
AllowTcpForwarding yes
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
X11UseLocalHost yes
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog yes
TCPKeepAlive yes
  • Get xming or something similar. (xming is the free one that seems to work. I'm not sure about the others because I'm too cheap to go out and buy an xserver for windows so I can connect to my free xserver on my free operating system, using other free tools to connect, via the free (for now) internet).
    • You can easily install this onto a usb-drive and run it portably, just by selecting the drive as the install directory. It works rather well, especially if you have a good internet connection.
  • Once that's done, you should be able to log into it(ensure that you have x11 tunneling enabled on your putty or ssh program.

No comments: